Friday, September 6, 2024

The power of repeated acts of kindness...

 I have been the recipient of a completely unexpected, undeserved, delightful, repeated act of kindness from a customer who has become a friend. 



 The first time she brought flowers was a day that Craig and I were working our grilling stand at market alone, on our anniversary, because "This is what we do for dates." After a bit, she came by with some flowers for our "date." 

Since then, she has randomly showed up at our stand with flowers. This summer, it has been a regular occurrence. We have market; Genie shows up with flowers.

Some weeks, I enjoy them all week long. Other weeks, I love them well for a few moments, then spread the love on to another person. 

I have learned a lot about giving, by being on the receiving end of this ongoing gift.

1. I don't have to have a lot, to give a little. 

2. Merchants don't expect their customers to bring them gifts of encouragement. But merchants are people, and people need encouragement. I want to keep my eyes open, and be willing to spread small acts of kindness, with no strings attached, to people I interact with- including merchants.

3. Giving sometimes has a Snowball Effect. She gives me flowers. I sometimes give the flowers with some food to someone having a tough week. So it gives me an amazing opportunity to both enjoy the gift for a bit, then pass it on, when I see someone who needs it more than I do. 

4. Having this handed to me week after week increases my alertness to "Who needs a little cheer?" 

5. A small, repeated gift is perhaps sometimes more impactful than a large, one-time gift. "I see you. You matter. I appreciate you." "I still see you. You still matter. I still appreciate you."

Thanks so much, Genie - for your friendship,  for all the flowers, and for all you have taught me about giving. 



No comments:

Post a Comment

I enjoy hearing your thoughts about what I write. Please include your name in your comment. 😊
Thanks!