Tuesday, January 30, 2024

Ten Things I Love About Being a Mom to Our Four Kids...and then Ten More Things

Having children is one of the biggest learning curves of my life. College education doesn't prepare you for it, and the kids don't come with an individualized Mother's Manual. 

Having children is one of the biggest blessings of my life. I've had aching, empty arms in my years of singleness, and a hemorrhaging heart from pregnancy loss. So now when my arms ache in fatigue and my heart carries the burden of care for them,  it is healthy to reflect on why I love being a mom to this set of children. 

So here it is:

Ten Things I love About Being a Mom to Our Four Kids (and some gentle reminders to myself)

 1. Eternal Investment and Purpose. 

Having children is not required for this, but having children puts these opportunities right into your lap. Literally. Keep it in focus and give it your all. Invest your resources wisely.

2. Personal Development 

There is a constant learning curve for parents,  and the opportunity to grow and change along with our children.  Add some special needs, and you'll learn a whole new field of knowledge.  You may even gain a bit of humility and empathy along the way. Don't waste it. Grow. Change. Embrace. 

3. Honest Observations 

The kids just say it as they see it. Listen and learn!

4. Squish Hugs. 

Big family hug! Add a chorus of giggles, and freeze the moment, because I want to remember these smiles forever. 

5. Creative Expression. 

It's so fun to see the drawings and stuff they are learning to make.  With their imagination,  I look forward to watching this develop!

6. Music in the Air. 

We have various levels of interest and natural ability in the singing department,  but I love hearing them sing. One of them is learning piano as well.

7. All The Love. 

There is nothing quite as sweet as kids looking out for each other. "I'm glad you're my mom" is invigorating. 

8. A Pat on the Back. 

 My very favorite baby feedback that I hope I never, ever forget is when I pick up my baby and she pats my back, while I pat hers.

9. Hugs and Kisses and Good Nightses. 

If you watch our bedtime ritual,  you might raise your eyebrow. They hold out their hands,  I dump some air into them, they smear it over their bodies. We call it Love Cups, but that's another story for another day. 

10. Sleeping. 

 Gaze in awe, as those wiggly, squirmy, noisy, energetic little bodies lie quiet, their only movement the rise and fall of the chest. Thank God for the blessings of family, and rest in His care.


I mean all of those things with all my heart. 

But most blessings in life come with a Pack of Hard Things.

So.... here's the Exhausted Mom Version 😜

.........

10 More Things About Being Mom to Four

 1. A full filled fulfilled life. "You have your hands full!" Oh, really? Glad you pointed that out, in case I hadn't noticed. Not just my hands, actually. My lap. My couch. My car. My brain. It's all full. My heart-- it's full too. 

2. Well-exercised lungs. KJ has the scissors. Deep breath. K is on the monkey bars. Deep Breath. T is running barefoot on top of the calf huts. Deep breath. D has turned the dining room into a science lab. Deep Breath. The kids made breakfast. Deep Breath.

3. Complimentary Blind Spot Detection Service. 

 "Mom, can you please move? Your armpits stink." 

"This kale tastes like weeds!"

4. Squish Hugs. 

 Because what fun would it be to just hug my husband when he walks in the door, without 1, 2, 3, or 4 Small Bodies slithering in between us? 

5. Creative Expression. 

 Green stripes on the couch? Black waves on the white cupboards? Blue fingers? It's all in style now.  

6. Music in the Air. 

 The more songs you can get going at once, the better. Go ahead, crank up the volume! Top of the lungs, now! 

7. All The Love. 

 "We are the brothers that love each other." Maybe if we say it often enough, it will become visibly true more often. 

"HEY, POPSICLE!!!!"

8. A Pat on the Back. 

Emphasize the love with a fist pounding from Little Bro.

9. Hugs and Kisses and Good Nightses. 

 Keep it short. Keep it sweet. Send those kiddos off to sleep.  

10. Sleeping. 

 Gaze in awe, as those wiggly, squirmy, noisy, energetic little bodies lie quiet, their only movement the rise and fall of the chest. Are these still the same Humans? Then, collapse into your own bed, exhausted. Lie awake for hours, praying and wondering if the Little Beings will learn to love each other and become Functional Humans who love and build up those around them. 



Thank you, God.

Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment